Saturday, March 27, 2010

Is eating fruit really good for us?

Let me begin by saying that although biochemistry, particularly nutritional biochemistry, is a fascinating subject for me, I am not a Biochemist (yet). A lot of what I write comes from the studies of my mentors, what they have written and how it has been explained to me. The chances of my friends, family or anyone else who comes across my blog finding this information published in medical journals, biochemical textbooks or anywhere else for that matter is slim to none - so I'm simply passing the info along on topics that I enjoy and apply to my life.

Here's the lowdown on fruit (fructose):

Lets begin with Sugar is Sugar is Sugar.

This includes fructose... which means it doesn't matter what the source is - be it sugar from fruit, brown rice or cakes and candies. This is a biochemical fact; not a belief.

A lot of people adhere to the incorrect thinking that our body's somehow use a glucose molecule differently, if it comes from different food sources. For instance, the medical profession, registered dietitians and nutritionists alike, think if a glucose molecule comes from whole wheat bread it is somehow treated differently than if it came from a cake or candy item. The glucose molecule will be treated the same by our body no matter where it came from.

What happens once the glucose molecule gets inside our cells is that it will be converted into plaque forming deadly cholesterol as well as the fat we call a triglyceride.

The sugar fructose, found in fruits, will also be converted into plaque-forming deadly cholesterol. Again, this is a fact. For some reason the medical profession thinks that the sugar fructose is somehow better for us, but the facts are that it is transformed into cholesterol and triglycerides faster than glucose.

No comments:

Post a Comment