Friday, March 26, 2010

The Primal Life

Most of my family and friends know how I choose to eat and what my exercise routine consists of. Some have an understanding and agree with my views; some think I'm out of my mind.

In a nutshell, The Primal Life brings us back to the day of the caveman. A time when life consisted of hunting & gathering, survival from the elements & wild animals, lots of exploration, relaxation and play time. In today's modern society, this is not only beneficial to us as humans but it's still very achievable on most levels.

Now I don't live in a cave and spear my dinner (although I wouldn't mind giving it a shot sometime), I do live a modern version of this lifestyle adjusted to my own liking, from my research, and from the teachings of my mentors.

Regarding how I choose to eat: In 2008 I met a terrific doctor, Dr. James Carlson, who is my physician, mentor and friend. He educated me and showed me a path of proper eating that I never knew existed. Not only is he a practicing family physician, he also holds degrees in biochemistry & medical law, among a host of other credentials. Simply put, the man is a genius.

Back then, I was eating like garbage. The standard American diet accompanied by large quantities of fast food and sugars. I was in very poor health at the time. My cholesterol and blood pressure were off the charts and I needed to lose weight desperately. I was not only headed towards diabetes and a possible stroke but also cirrhosis of the liver. I was in bad shape and only 35 years old! This is supposed to be the prime of my life; not a time wondering and worrying if I was going to check out an early age.

Dr. Jim introduced me to the low carbohydrate way of eating and educated me on how this is how we all should be eating. This is a biochemical fact; not a belief - contrary to the propaganda endorsed by America's leading medical associations.

Now I'm not going to get in to a long discussion on biochemistry at the moment (although I probably will somewhere down the line), but the results I have achieved through eating low carb have been astonishing. I have lost a lot of weight, I am no longer on any medications, my blood work is textbook perfect and I am also no longer in any danger of developing cirrhosis of the liver as a result of a change in my food choices and eating habits. This all happened within about a year. A miracle? No. I am not an exception to any rule - I'm just a normal guy who implemented these changes in my life and let nature take it's course.

I eventually reached a point where my weight loss plateaued and my exercise routine was way out of whack for my goals. This is where, in my research, I came across a book written by a man named Mark Sisson called The Primal Blueprint. In this book, I have learned that as humans we are still genetically the same as we were 2 million years ago. It wasn't until about 10,000 years ago, when the agricultural industry began to develop, and in turn, began to diminish the human body via the intake of grains.

This is just a basic outline of nutritional evolution, in it's most simplistic form - I will get in to far further depth in future blogs. I highly recommend reading the books The Primal Blueprint by Sisson and Genocide (How your doctor's ignorance will kill you!!) by Dr. James Carlson. There are also many other books I've read and will mention as this blog progresses but these two books are a fantastic start if this is something that sparks your interest.

Back to my Primal Life... that was the title of this entry right? I get lost in my own mind sometimes :-)

Primal eating consists of exactly what man ate millions of years ago. All meats, fowl and fish, animal and other healthy fats and oils, nuts and wild vegetation. Primal exercise consists of mimicking the movements of the hunters and gatherers - slow walking and exploration (hiking is a good example), heavy lifting and sprinting (to catch prey or hopefully avoid being the prey!). A Primal lifestyle also includes proper sleep, rest and play!

I will also get in to further detail on how I adapted to these principles, how I include all of them in my life, and where I'm at with each of them in future blogs.

That's all for now - I've got to get my mojo on and get some important things done today.

Until next time, peace and primal love!

No comments:

Post a Comment