Thursday, April 8, 2010

Inflation can be deadly!

Here we are in the 2nd week of April and we're having some beautiful weather in NY. As I mentioned, I've been looking forward to taking my cardio and sprint days outdoors once it warmed up and today seemed like the perfect day to start. So, I'm thinking to myself, what do I want to do?? Ah ha! I'll go get my Mtn. bike that's been sitting in my parent's shed for the past 3 yrs. (I know, shame on me) and I'll hit the trails for a nice long ride and some all out sprints.

I bought this bike, oh about 13 yrs ago lol. It's a Trek and it was a pretty good bike back in the day... I bought it the same summer I bought a brand new Jeep Wrangler because it looked hip hanging off the back of my new Jeep! Nah, I really wanted to get into riding - and I did for a while - but then... well you know how it goes. It sat for a while, then I got into it again, then parked 3 yrs ago - and haven't touched it since.

So I go to get the bike and the tires were low and needed some air but they seemed to be holding some so I thought a quick trip to the gas station down the road for air and I'd be good to go! I also needed to dust some of the cobwebs off and lube the chain.

Anyway, here I am down at the station, filling up the back tire and BAM!!! IT EXPLODED! Sounded like a gun shot and my ear seriously rang for a good minute or two. The tires had dry rotted and just blew apart on me.

So, I head down to the bike shop to get some new tires and tubes put on and unfortunately they only had one in stock so I'll have to wait until tomorrow when the shipment comes in and my bike will be ready in the afternoon (too bad it's supposed to rain tomorrow!). While I was there, I picked up a new helmet (never had a bicycle helmet but I should be wearing one), a pair of riding gloves and a water bottle to attach to the bike frame. We are looking at a nice weekend though, so I'll go and hit the trails then for my first ride of the season.

In the meantime, it's now after 5pm and getting chilly so I'm not going to start a two hour hike in the woods... I'm going to go to the gym and maybe I'll do my savage bear crawl mountain climbing routine I did the other day. Or maybe I'll try something else... I'll figure it out when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment